<!-- next_step "sinatra" -->
* just like a VARIABLE is a name for a chunk of data
* a FUNCTION is a name for a chunk of code
* if you have some code you want to run again and again
* or just run once, but keep it organized
# For example
Here's a silly function:
def add x, y
x + y
* `def` means "define a function"
* `add` is the *name* of the function
* `x, y` are the *parameters* of the function
* `x + y` is the *body* of the function
* also the *return value*
Lab: write a `multiply` method and use it to multiply 123 * 456
def rant s
s.upcase.gsub(" ", "") + "!!!"
puts rant "i like pizza"
Lab: use "rant" to rant about something really important!!!
# Capitalize Just The First Character
def initial_cap s
s + s[1,s.length]
Lab: capitalize a few things
def titleize string
string.split(' ').map(&:capitalize).join(' ')
* The funny `&:` means "send this message"
* `map(&:capitalize)` means "send the message `capitalize` to every item in the array"
# LAB: titleize your favorite movies